Tell me… Who remembers the bean salad that Kentucky Fried Chicken used to make?!
I used to love how the beans squeaked against my teeth. High in acidity, nice and sweet with heaps of black pepper. I’m sure all the acidity in it helped cut through the fat in the chicken and its method of cooking.
It was removed from their menu years ago, and unfortunately KFC just hasn’t been the same for me.
If you are looking for a super tasty, super easy, typically Aussie salad to serve along with your bbq this weekend, here is a recipe for a bean salad that is as close to the original as I can remember, and I can almost guarantee you might already have all the ingredients needed in your pantry!!!
KFC Style Traditional Aussie BBQ Bean Salad
- 3 cans of 5 bean mix (or 4 bean mix or 3 bean mix!)
- 250g frozen cut green beans
- 1 red Spanish onion finely chopped
- One 330ml bottle of ‘Praise’ brand 100% fat free Italian dressing (or see tips below)
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. finely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Open cans of beans and tip them into a colander and rinse well with running water.
- Drain well and add to remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, cover, and allow to marinate for a few hours if possible before serving.
- This salad actually tastes better after about 3 days and lasts up to two weeks covered in the fridge!!
- The addition of a finely chopped green or red capsicum is nice too.
- If you would prefer not to use a bottle of ready-made dressing, simply make you own dressing using the following as a guide…
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. dried mixed herbs
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder (or ½ clove crushed garlic)
- ¼ tsp. paprika powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
Bring water and sugar to a boil to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool. Add remaining ingredients and continue above recipe, omitting the bottle of dressing and extra sugar.